Directly administered by the Honors College, the University Honors Program (UHP) is the oldest and largest multi-year honors program at UNC Charlotte, welcoming students from any major. As an interdisciplinary honors program at UNC Charlotte, UHP encourages students to integrate learning from multiple academic disciplines with their own lived experiences to create new knowledge that is more than just the sum of its parts. Our students are also committed to putting their learning into practice through community-engaged coursework and program-wide service, enrichment and social opportunities. We hope you’ll join our family!
Please scroll down this page to discover information about who is eligible and how to apply, and what the expectations are once you’ve become a member, as well as UHP curriculum and study abroad opportunities.
Eligibility & Application
The University Honors Program has three possible entry points:
- Entering Freshmen (including dual enrollment and early college)
- Current Students at UNC Charlotte
- Transfer Students
GPA/Test Score Minimums:
- Unweighted high school GPA = 3.2
- SAT = 1100*
- ACT = 22*
- 3.4 cumulative GPA
Students interested in applying, should CLICK HERE to learn more about the process.
* Standardized test scores are not required to apply for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Membership in the University Honors Program requires active engagement in all areas of our program. To help you create an academic schedule that provides space to meet UHP expectations, you will receive priority registration each semester you are in good standing with UHP. Priority registration is a true privilege that is offered only to a very small number of students on campus.
All members must meet the following expectations each semester:
- Maintain progression towards completing the UHP curriculum (20 credit hours): On average, this equates to one honors course per semester.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a 3.2 GPA in honors courses.
- Attend ALL UHPSA general body meetings (typically 2 a semester)
- Participate in at least 2 community service events with UHP
- We encourage all of our members to engage in additional service individually and/or with other organizations and to let us know if you have new ideas for community partnerships
- All seniors in UHP may choose their own service location
- Attend at least 1 enrichment event with at least two other UHP members
- Participate in at least 1 UHPSA social event
All UHP approved events can be found in our Helper Helper app, allowing you to manage your time more effectively.
The UHP curriculum requires that students take one honors class each semester, on average, and emphasizes scholarship, leadership, and community engagement to build students’ engagement with the Charlotte community in support of UNC Charlotte’s mission as an urban research university.
Students in UHP must fulfill 8 credit hours of core coursework and, in most cases, 12 elective credit hours: six in lower-division courses (LBST-H courses), and six in upper-division courses (HONR 3700). The curriculum grid below outlines one suggested sequence for a student in UHP who will be on campus for four years. Please visit the course catalog for your entry year for more detail.
UHP Study Abroad
The University Honors Program encourages students to study abroad as a means to broadening and deepening their understanding of the world. The Honors College offers a City as Text™: International Edition every other year in which global cities become our classroom, most recently taking us to Budapest, Hungary and Vienna, Austria.
Students in the University Honors Program can also fulfill three credits of their UHP elective requirement through an Honors College-approved study abroad program. Students may request equivalency credits for one honors elective coursework by submitting a course syllabus on the UHP Canvas Page.