One of the pillars of the Honors College is engaging in research, demonstrated by the participation of our students in the annual UNC Charlotte Undergraduate Research Conference. Our students, representing a variety of disciplines and programs, took the time to present their research to fellow students and faculty at the conference and share the work they completed this year.
Honors students were well represented at the URC, but esspecially amongst award winners, with 12 of our students winning departmental awards for either their poster or oral presentations and another winning a community engaged scholarship award. A full list of departmental winners can be found at the end of this article.
For the conference, the Honors College was also able to give out three awards: the Humanities Award, the Interdisciplinary Studies Award, and the STEM Award.
- Humanities Award - Kelly Brabec (English Honors and University Honors Program): Unmasking the Masochist: The Conception and Impact of Sukio Mishima’s “Confessions of a Mask”
- Interdisciplinary Studies Award - Allison Mehta (Psychology Honors): The Influence of Interpersonal Goals on Posttraumatic Growth Outcomes Following Infidelity: Self-Esteem as a Mediator
- STEM Award - Isaac Sluder (Biology Honors): The Hsp70 Co-chaperone Ydj1/HDJ1 Regulates Ribonucleotide Reductase Activity
Kelly Brabec (left) and Issac Sluder (right) winners of the Honors College Awards
Departmental Award Winners:
- Biological Sciences - Gaith Droby (Biological Sciences Honors) and Makenzie Postma (Biological Sciences Honors)
- Chemistry - Clair Gates (Biological Sciences Honors) and Kayla Blackburn (Crown Scholars Program and University Honors Program)
- Communication Studies - Maiah Dixon (Crown Scholars Program, Business Honors Program, and University Honors Program)
- Economics - Taelor Malcolm (Levine Scholars Program and Business Honors Program)
- English - Jenna Hainlen (English Honors Program)
- Geography and Earth Sciences - Brandon Nickerson (Geography and Earth Sciences Honors Program)