Welcome to the Honors College’s website! I am glad you have found us.
With more than fifty years of honors education on campus, UNC Charlotte has been committed for most of its relatively young life to educating and supporting high-achieving students. The Honors College, like the University, is an urban research institution. This means that honors – as we do it here – connects to the Charlotte community and focuses on undergraduate research.
Some quick facts about the Honors College:
- 30 honors programs: core interdisciplinary University Honors Program and 29 discipline-based programs in colleges and departments.
- 804 total honors students; planning to grow to 1,000+.
- Albert, Crown and Martin Scholars full-ride merit scholarship programs; Johnson and Freeman Scholars, tuition and fees scholarships.
- 7 staff, 3 faculty fellows, 3-5 student interns, 29 honors program directors, faculty governance by 11-person Honors Council elected by 115 Honors Faculty, 8-person Advisory Board.
- Competitive fellowships and pre-health professions advising for all University students
Many students enter honors as first semester freshmen and continue through all four years at the University. The oldest and largest multi-year program, the University Honors Program, serves as the core honors program available to any major. Students often enter disciplinary honors programs as well – with 29 to choose from, honors is available to almost every major on campus! This makes honors accessible to transfer students and those continuing students who become interested in undergraduate research while at the UniversityI hope it is apparent from our website that honors at UNC Charlotte is all about creating a community of like-minded high achievers. Students come together in the honors residence Levine Hall, in our community office space (with free printing!), in interdisciplinary seminars about Big Ideas, and for social events and workshops on everything from career development, graduate school, winning competitive national and international fellowships, study abroad and more. Call our reception desk any time (704.687.7197) to speak to one of our Honors College interns who can tell you about the honors experience that they and their friends are having here.
Like UNC Charlotte, honors here is growing! We have committed and talented faculty and staff, some of whom have been with the Honors College 20 years and others who have just joined the team. This keeps continuity of key traditions and brings fresh eyes and new opportunities.
Dr. Malin Pereira, Executive Director
Professor of English